Here, in chronological order, is a list of all of the significant discoveries which led me to where I am now.
Each of of these moments represents a “stepping stone” on my road to recovery, and each was a necessary piece of the puzzle I had to figure out.
The really frustrating about my story is that there’s no good reason why it had to take me five years to figure all this stuff out. It’s not as though it took five years to strengthen all of the muscles to hold my joints in place again.
It’s just that I was faced with such a lack of information. There was no one person who could tell me any of these things. Instead, as a patient who had never heard of the SI joint before, I had to gradually piece all of this information together myself.
So here’s what I learned.
Key Points of My Recovery:
- Identifying the problem
- Working out regularly in a pool and related post The importance of pool exercise to my recovery
- Adjusting my own movement patterns. Related posts: The SI joint is like a puzzle and Positions where the SI joint is more or less stable
- Muscular Strength vs. Endurance
- Developing a thorough stretching routine
- When someone finally told me only one SI joint could lock up at a time
- Learning to adjust my own SI joints
- Discovering chiropractic adjustments had been re-spraining my ligaments the entire time (and switching over to using only the Muscle Energy Technique)
Looking back at everything I know now:
- The end of my SI joint issues is officially in sight
- How I healed my SI joints without surgery
- How it all finally came together
- My Recovery Timeline