New video! Why I always tell people to keep trying PT

Okay, so I finally got up the courage to make another Youtube video.

This is something that I so often end up writing in my emails and messages to people, I thought I could end up reaching more people this way.

I hear from so many people who’ve been through multiple medical practitioners– doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors, physical therapists– and still haven’t been helped.

My advice is always the same– keep trying physical therapy, because once you find the right person, things can really click for you.

So in this video, I explain a little bit more about what it took for me to find the right physical therapist.  For a while, it sort of felt like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but once it worked for me, it worked.

So don’t give up.  Keep going.

For more on my experience finding the right physical therapist, please check out the following posts.  I’ll also be making more videos in the future!

1. Persistence
  2. Thinking creatively
  3. Find someone with experience in treating the SIJ
  4. Search tips
  5. The PT’s I observed as a student

Side note: Um… I feel like I look much better than this in real life.  I don’t know.   I’m not a super technology-oriented person, but it seems the video quality got condensed a bit when I uploaded it and now I don’t love the way I look in it.  Oh well!  Hope this information is helpful!!!

20 thoughts on “New video! Why I always tell people to keep trying PT

1. Invisibly Me says:

Considering you felt ‘super awkward’, I think you did brilliantly – love the video! It does come across differently to written text alone, and you’re very well spoken and clear. Do you think you’ll do another video soon..?  ♥
    Caz xx

2. Ann Horne says:

You were great. You are such a caring person and I hope you keep doing the videos. You started the FB group which helps so many people all over the world. You will never know what your blogs have done for so many. Thank you

3. Lisa McGlothlin says:

Thank you so much for sharing. I have been dealing with this for a year now. I am so discouraged, but I have an appointment with a new PT in a few days. I’m really hoping that this time it will work. Did you ever wear an SI belt? My chiropractor gave me one, and I thought it was the cure because the pain really went away, but I’ve plateaued. The pain still comes and goes, so I’m obviously not cured.

4. laura Balsley says:

HI Christy,

You try SO hard to help us all .. I appreciate ALL that you do! Also thank you SO much for making the CC available to use . ( closed captions so that I can understand what you are saying)

Kudos to you!!

Laura

P.S. I love my Sierra table!

5. Allyson says:

Thanks for making this. Although everyone is different, it’s given me a little optimism as I’ve been feeling quite frustrated at my lack of progress, not knowing whether to keep going with a specific program or person, and never
    mind the expense!

It’s interesting to me that I got two different diagnoses from the two physiotherapists I’ve seen thus far – the first told me my SI Joint is hyper-mobile, the second said hypo-mobile. I have to ask myself, who do I trust? It’s confusing and beyond my scope of knowledge.

• Christy Collins says:

Hi Allyson, glad the video gave you a little bit of hope. I hear from a lot of people in your predicament, and it definitely sounds confusing.

I’ve now seen a total of 2 physical therapists who are really great with the SI joint (I haven’t talked about the 2nd one yet) and I can tell you that we only *ever* talked about the joint in terms of hypermobility.

Sometimes a hypermobile joint can get “stuck” in a bad position (https://sijointsaga.com/2017/01/10/sacroiliac-joint-stuck/) and technically, that would mean it has now become hypomobile. But the problem originally began because the joint was moving too much, if that makes any sense. So I personally would be a little bit skeptical of anyone saying hypomobility itself is the problem.

Hopefully this gives you some food for thought– maybe you can come up with some questions to ask each PT to get some better answers. Good luck!

• Allyson says:

Thanks for the reply and it’s interesting you say that. Any researching I’ve seen on the internet has talked about the SI Joint being one or the other. Either way, the approach of both the physios I saw seemed to involve supporting the joint by strengthening the core muscles first and foremost.

6. Amy Matulis says:

Hi, I follow your blog because of my own S.I. joint problems. I have seen lots of physical therapists, chiropractors, massage therapists, rolfers, d.o. physicians, and finally a neuromuscular doctor who wanted me in an S.I. belt and was pushing prolotherapy treatment. All the while my physical state deteriorated (piriformis, glute, low back, right abdomen, right thigh, psoas, right Q.L., etc.) and I was forced to quit so many of the exercises and activities I enjoyed. My appendix was removed almost two years ago, but when the same right side abdominal symptoms returned 6 months later, it was determined I had probably had an “abdominal injury” instead of appendicitis. Last year this time my S.I. would “not stay in place”. I could not go up the stairs, walk down a hill, pick up my 5 lb dogs, nothing without feeling like my S.I. would “slip” causing me symptoms in the back and the front. That was still the case last Summer. In August of 2018, an internet search lead me to PRI. I called the main office in Nebraska, and was pointed toward Mike Cantrell outside Atlanta (I live in FL), one of their long time physical therapist practitioners and trainers. If I was crying in August 2018, I was getting results in October, three weeks after meeting Mike once in September, and going home to work on three exercises. Unlike any P.T. exercises I had to do previously, these were not designed to isolate some muscles that “hold the S.I. joint in place”. These exercises were designed to turn on certain muscles that my brain had forgotten how to use, and to turn off other muscles that my body used all the time (over-used) as I unknowingly developed bad compensatory habits over the years. I could keep going on and on, but if you are studying to become a P.T., and have had this battle with your own S.I., I think it would be more than worth it to investigate PRI. They teach courses all over the place, and it’s truly the only treatment that has stood out for me and made any kind of difference at all. February 2019…I can run, lift weights, get in and out of the car, lift awkward objects, use the stair mill and the ladder at the gym, wear heels, etc.

• Christy Collins says:

That’s amazing, Amy– thanks so much for sharing your story! I have heard good things about PRI before, and it’s definitely on my radar. Other readers– please do check it out (the Postural Restoration Institute, https://www.posturalrestoration.com/).

Also– I know many of you struggle with the logistics of trying to find someone in your area. Amy had a great strategy of identifying an approach that resonated with her, calling the Institute, even though it was several states away, and asking if they knew of anyone in her area. This can be a great way to get started when you’re having trouble locating someone near you.

Sometimes, finding the right person can come down to tricks like this. I offer a few additional search tips in this post: https://sijointsaga.com/2018/01/16/find-physical-therapist/

• Sarah says:

Also–although this is a bit off topic–did you ever use any back machines while in PT? I have used one at a back clinic–and at first it seemed promising, but in the end seemed to make things worse. I think the weight was increased too much, too quickly. I had been attending the back clinic PT as well as checking in with my connective tissue disorder PT (I have ehlers-danlos) but I am considering stopping, or least taking a break from the back clinic. The SI joint is one of their specialties, I really like my doctor there, and there a PT there I really like, but my (much beloved) connective tissue disorder PT has obviously worked a lot with he SI joint as well and I am thinking maybe the machines are too risky.
      Anyway, I know you have hyper mobile joints, although not ehlers-danlos, and I wonder if you had any experience with the back machines?
      Thank you, again.

• Christy Collins says:

Hi Sarah, I’m so glad my blog could help! I have never used back machines since developing SI joint issues… and to be honest, I don’t think I ever will. Something I’ve realized about my body, even though my SI joints are now stabilized, is that I will sort of always need to perform movements in my own way and make subtle adjustments. My pelvis does still “rotate” at times… it’s just not so much that my SI joints are getting stuck, which makes all the difference in the world. But in order to use the machines properly, I think it’s really important to have the right form… which I couldn’t guarantee I was doing, from one day to the next. That’s why I personally will always prefer aquatic exercise, or land exercises that involve moving freely, so I can do things in a way that works for me and doesn’t cause any pain. (I think that’s key for all SIJ sufferers– never, EVER do anything that increases your pain! I hope this answer helps!